Friday, May 4, 2012

In Honour of Mom

Mother's Day is always a poignant time for those of us who no longer have their mothers. This May will be the third Mother's Day without mine. However, as the mother of two girls who are now mothers, there is still the joy of sharing this special day with special people. I look at the young mothers in today's society and think about all the things that so many of them have to juggle while raising their children.

Our theme for the weekly challenge at Card Crafter's Circle is "Mother's Day/Something for Mum." Several countries, such as the UK, have already celebrated the traditional Mother's Day, so we didn't want to limit our theme to just that one occasion. Maybe your Mum is going to have a birthday soon or you just want to let her know you are thinking about her. Make her a lovely card and express your feelings for her.

We are always excited to have our current sponsor Dearie Dolls! Although the Dearie Dolls Shop is closed at the moment, they are still graciously sponsoring our challenges. The winner will have their choice of three images showcased by our Design Team at CCC!

Don't despair.... I urge you to go visit the Dearie Dolls blog and see what is happening .... it's a blog full of freebies, and they are gorgeous! Do leave some love in your comments when you collect the free images, won't you?
Now, on to my little card. As I said, I no longer have my mother, but my little 8 years old granddaughter has a special relationship with her mother (my younger daughter), so I had her in mind when I created my DT card. This little image is so very cute and reminded me so much of the two of them. After printing my image onto X-Press card and colouring with my Copic markers, I used one of my Spellbinder dies (Labels Four) to cut out the image.
Starting with a white card base, I layered a piece of blue card on top. I then layered a floral patterned paper on top of that (leaving about 1/8" border around each layer of paper). I then cut a circle from Core'dinations white wash green and embossed it using a QuicKutz Lifestyle crafts embossing folder called Spring Time (from Dutch Paper Crafts). When doing this "technique," remember to cut your shape BEFORE you emboss because the die cutting machines will flatten your embossing.
I then layered a strip of solid pink that I punched with a Fiskar's border bunch to make small scallops. I added the pink dotty ribbon across the pink strip, the little bow and the roses (Wild Orchid Crafts), and my sentiment.
I've shown the card to my granddaughter, and she is pleased with it except that her Mum's favourite colour is orange, so she thought I should have worked that colouring in instead of the pink. Oops, she is probably right on that point, but too late now (smile). I know my daughter will like it despite having no orange (smile).
Thank you for looking. Run over to http://cardcrafterscircle.blogspot.com/ and have a look at what my very creative teamies have made this week for your inspiration, and then add your own wonderful work via the blue frog. We'd love for you to share with us this week. All of your entries are equally as inspiring to us as (hopefully) ours are for you.

3 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful! I love ythe colouring you've done this time! How sweet to share this card through your grand-daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the expressions on their faces.....so sweet!
    I really like that you put it onto a tag, and all the pretty papers make it a lovely card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenee,
    This Mother and daughter image is adorable, I love holding my daughter's hand and your card evokes real feelings! Your colouring of this is brilliant all the shading in the right places, it looks terrific!! I love this labels 4 die, it looks great.I love all your comments on my blog and I love how when even I don't say it you just get me, so glad we are friends!!!
    Hugs Trish xxx

    ReplyDelete